View Single Post
Old 14-10-2022, 12:39 PM
Startrek (Martin)

OSC to Mono in 2023

After starting with a Canon 600D DSLR back in 2017 , updating to a ZWO 2600MC OSC in 2020 , I’m thing about going the final step to Mono in 2023
With the last 12 months being the worst year for clear nights since I started 6 nearly years ago , the OSC to date has been ideal as consecutive clear nights in one week or clear nights over 2 weeks has been extremely rare.
Going Mono will be more of a works in progress type project for each object than a one or two night snap

Looking at buying the 2600MM to complement my existing 2600MC as the transition should be easy and suits my set ups ( Newts )

As far as filters go I researched so many over the past 3 or 4 months ( Optolong, Atik, Baader , Astronomik, ZWO , Chroma and Antlia ) on all forms of media , and have come to the conclusion that the Antlia LRGB Pro and 3nm Pro Ultra Narrowband are the best bang for the buck. I already use the Antlia Dual band ( Golden ) OSC filter which is superb.

From the all the research the Antlia LRGB and NB are suppose be parfocal which is a nice time saving feature as I’m not fully 100% automated ( set and forget until you wake up in the morning )

I’ve decided to opt for 2” filters unmounted ( with threads ) and a ZWO 2” x7 EFW for future proofing

The 2600MM speaks for itself so no need for any advice on this gem.

My imaging locations are at the opposite ends of the spectrum, Bortle 7/8 Sydney and Bortle 3 South Coast NSW

I’d like to get some feedback from folk who use the Antlia filters LRGB Pro and 3nm Pro Ultra NB

Thanks

Cheers

PS: I can afford Chroma but can’t justify the cost , I’d rather spend the money on travel or help the kids / grandkids in my retirement.