View Single Post
Old 09-10-2021, 07:02 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well Martin if I can do as well with the 11 inch RASA I will be happy... excellent images.
I really think this fear of collimation is unfounded .. my eight inch has never been touched..never..and it travelled from Sydney to up here on a regular basis..it cant have been too bad as I certainly could not notice anything that jumped out...
Adam mentioned his concern that wind could be a problem but I have never had such a problem as fortunately have been in sheltered places but for me if there is wind I find it blows the stars around more than the scope.
Adam also mentioned that a refractor offers better contrast and I expect that may be the case because I think refractors have baffles..I must look in mine rather than assume..however when I ran my six inch Newtonian Reflector Telescope I fitted baffles in the tube at about 100 mm intervals ...also I ran a two foot baffled dew tube..everything was painted flat black and while the paint was wet I sprinkled saw dust such that it stuck to the wet paint..let dry and painted a second coat of flat black paint...the resulting contrast in my opinion was excellent...
I do hope that our message enables some folk to have the confidence to go for a six inch Newtonian Reflector Telescope and put the money saved to a cooled camera and hit the deck running.
I look at your images Martin and think they must clearly establish beyond any doubt that there is nothing shabby about a six inch Newtonian Reflector Telescope...I do feel that the fear re adjustment is most unfounded and I expect as many photographers come from a terrestrial background they dismiss the Newtonian Reflector Telescope without actually giving one a fair trial..actually no trial at all...further as you observed F6 covers a lot of ground ..longer FL but gets all the stuff we seek.

So I hope any folk saving up may be able to buy a little sooner...or at least take my message re getting a dedicated camera with the savings.
AND everyone... look again at Martins images and ask if you would be happy with such a result.
Alex