View Single Post
Old 08-11-2021, 09:17 AM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

The covers for the latitude-axis gently snap into place...

Click image for larger version

Name:	latitude-axis covers - magnets3g.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	283363

The slight spacing between the magnets and the bolt ensure that the covers are able to fully seat.

The RA-axis is aimed at Polaris, more or less, and ready to go with the 70mm f/12.9 achromat attached...

Name:	110721c.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	283362

The legs of the tripod are fully retracted, save the slight extensions required to level the mount, and per its built-in bubble-level. I expect I'll be keeping the legs retracted mostly, if not always. The lightest, four-pound counter-weight is attached, and the telescope balanced, more or less.

The revolutions amaze and astound. I'll be wanting slow-motion knobs instead.

No, you're not seeing things. I have a new observing-chair. It's much nicer than the old one...

Name:	observing chair2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	283361

Although, I'll not be retiring it, just yet.

I'm going to need a two(to three?)-pound counter-weight. I can get an iOptron 2.2-pound, and a 13/16"(20.7mm) drill-bit to open it up. That would still be somewhat less than the Vixen two-pounder, but only somewhat. The Vixen is nigh insanely priced; two pounds of silver, it seems.

"Those interested in Vixen precision optical products can expect to see them available on Explore Scientific's website as soon as October of this year." - GlobeNewswire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjaonLGgSN0