View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 10:05 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

I removed the taped magnets from the inner sides of the covers for the altitude/latitude-axis, and polished both...

Click image for larger version

Name:	latitude-axis covers - polished.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	283295

Aren't they lovely?

The cover printed with the degree-scale was fairly easy to pop off when I began this project, but not the blank one. As a result, the edge of the blank cover was damaged a little, with a scratch over onto the bevelled surface, indicated by the red arrow, and a rough edge in that same area. I first scraped the excess off of the scratch, "painted" it with acetone to smooth it, then polished the entire cover with Colgate® toothpaste, then Pond's® original cold-cream, and with my finger-tips only. The printed cover was polished with the cold-cream only. Both covers had some light and micro scratches in addition.

The relatively large scratch is still there on the blank cover, but noticed only via this macro-shot and a brilliant LED-light...

Name:	latitude-axis covers - polished2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	283296

It was quite noticeable before, just looking at it from two feet, more or less, distant.

The small, neodymium magnets are 1.5mm in thickness. The depth of the inner side of both caps, 5mm. The head of the bolt, in relation to the blank cover, protrudes about 1mm into same. The tip of the bolt, in relation to the printed cover, protrudes about 2mm into same.

Hence, the magnet for the blank cover will need a 2mm riser, and a 1mm riser for the magnet of the printed cover. Once the risers are integrated, there will be about 0.5mm of spacing between the magnets and the two ends of the bolt; again, not quite touching.

When I had gone out to remove the covers, with their magnets taped in still, the printed cover was harder to remove, as its magnet was closer to its end of the bolt, the tip.

At present, I'm thinking about making an aluminium spacer for the gap between the saddle and DEC-housing, to epoxy it onto the underside of the saddle's rim...

Name:	DEC saddle plate2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	283297

That would help to keep debris from entering the gap over time.

Alas, I wouldn't have to think of these things if Synta had been "on the ball".

Last edited by Eldest_Sibling; 06-11-2021 at 10:26 PM.