View Single Post
Old 01-03-2005, 02:01 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
I must admit I was skeptical at first; did not think much of iceman trying to lure all the AO members over to his site
Just offering an alternative.. the AO forums were fine when they were the only ones in Australia, but they were always up and down (server problems), and there was very little in the way of active posters and no moderation or activity from an admin or anyone else.

I was simply offering another place to visit to get their amateur astronomy advice or discussions Somewhere active and not stale.

Quote:
I probably would not have had this negative initial reaction had iceinspace.com not been a .com. Had it been a .org, .org.au, or even .net.au, I would have thought nothing of iceman promoting his forums at AO. The .com suffix implies a profit motive
I'm a bit surprised by this comment. I've never thought of .com as a profit-seeking domain-name suffix, long before I started a website of my own. There's literally hundreds of thousands of .com suffixes, and a stack of them are just the average joe starting his own website, because .com is so cheap and easy to register. $15 for a 2-year subscription.

Quote:
Pity about the bureaucracy around the issue of domain names.
Agree with that, but I can understand why Australia has taken the hard line, given the problems, law suits etc that happen in America as a result of domain name registrations.