View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 02:02 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Ok here goes my feeble explanation

this means I will have the bearing pressure of roughly 4800 kg or 4.8 t . Looking into a footing suitable I decided on a broad load bearing footing that would repel water with force of mass acting on surrounding base and stabilize with area covered and distributed under the mount. this means that when swinging the mount around it should not produce momentum of the footing with any rocking even in dry periods when the clay shrinks. see here for soil type description

the dome structure to be held is well under a 1000kg so normal footings of 450 by 450 are needed so with wind loading a footing of 450x 600 is what I came up with being a simpleton so there will be three stirrups per side allowing the 200 x 50 x 3000 beams to be spaced at 500 centres. the outer beam structure is 200 x 75 x 3000 and no way connected to the pier.

being right on the swamp I think that it wont dry out so I am looking for stability with consistent mass of the pier
Ooooo-k ya lost me after "Ok here goes" ...nah just kidding, sounds reasonable to me...you an engineer or sumthin

Mike