View Single Post
Old 04-09-2021, 08:30 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by legswilly View Post
Might ask the cerium supplier the particle size of it.
Hello,

With grits they tend to have all the smaller grits in them till you get to the next grit grade. Ie 120 grit will have grits from 115-175 or so, when the 180grit kicks in.

The smaller grits within the range tend to act like mud, interfere with the grinding action of the normal sized grits and aren't good for great finishes.

That's were the microgrits and such shine. You have a very small range of grit sizes within the grade. The zirconium is 1-3um for example, so, ask about the particle size range within the grit/oxide more than the particle size itself.

Steve
PS. Remember to keep your channels open on the lap, and try micro-faceting the lap as well. As per Mel Bartels site - https://www.bbastrodesigns.com/JoyOf...Polishing.html - MOT polishing tends to be better as the channels and groves can hold the larger particles away from the mirror surface leaving only the embedded rouge to work on the lap surface.

TBH I would think you would be better going manual at 1200 grit. Use the 1200 to learn the "I" stroke that you will need later for the polish to parabola. The "I" stroke will setup the mirror surface better for polishing and you'll have better control if you practice the stroke first. But I am a newb and my knowledge is only what I can remember from bits of reading.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 05-09-2021 at 04:15 AM.