View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 12:42 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
All good advice big Al

The previous owner has done the small piles thing, so I am about to hitch the trailer and go collect it all The previous owner also left his small Stihl chainsaw for me to use until I get my own. Today I just plan to collect kindling as I have heaps of bigger stuff.

The current circa 2008/9 "Outback Power" off grid system is adequate for conservative weekend visits, being power aware but I am keen to have a more solid one though, so we can extend and worry less about what appliances we are using so much ...we don't have a fridge yet..using an eski for our short visits for now and given the cold environment at the moment it is working well, will need a fridge by summer though .

Mike
You can also get LPG powered fridges but they are a bit expensive. The startup draw of fridges motors is high.

You want water pumps that have minimal startup draw. At my home I couldn"t run a regular water pump with a 4 KVA generator as the start up draw was too great. I got a new water pump which is electronic and the generator does not even blip when it starts up.

My water pump at my dark site does draw a bit when it starts and the generator revs up to match its draw but copes. So they vary a lot. You can also get a 12 volt pump but water pressure there may be the issue.

Greg.

Also why don't you setup your gear as setup and pulldown rig or put a tarp over during the day if you have 3 clear nights forecast. Break out the AP152 eh?