View Single Post
Old 27-09-2021, 06:04 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephane View Post
Martin, thanks so much, that is really helpful.

The EQ6-R pro mount is quite a bit more expensive than the NEQ6 pro mount that was recommended to me. Would the NEQ6 pro do the job? What are the pros of the EQ6-R?

I made a new post about someone selling an old CGEM mount. Since it is so much more cheaper than a new mount, I am considering it. Anything I should know or look out for before buying a second-hand mount? (Feel free to respond in the thread "Mount advice").

Thanks again
The EQ6-R pro is a belt driven on Ra and Dec with worm drives and is a proven performer across the globe with minimal backlash , low periodic error and smooth quiet operation. The EQ6 is a good mount and has been a workhorse for a decade or more but IMO not in the same class as the EQ6-R. The EQ6 is gear driven on Ra and Dec so it’s an old design which is ok but they seem to have a lot of backlash issues which is hard to minimise. A lot of folk install belt mod kits to the HEQ5 and EQ6 as they are always trying to minimise backlash to improve their guiding. To me the extra $500 to $600 on the EQ6-R is definitely worth it , without a doubt !!! The EQ6-R is an excellent mount and proven performer

In relation to buying second hand mounts you need some guiding performance data on the mount otherwise you could be buying someone else’s problems
( no different from buying a second hand car )

Cheers
Martin