View Single Post
Old 27-09-2021, 04:05 PM
Stephane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Stephanie,

You will still have some coma in the corners of your field using f5 or f6 but at this stage you could image without a coma corrector and purchase it later on

My advice for a beginner, since your heading for a newtonian reflector imaging set up ( like I started with and still use ) would be the following options -

Option 1

6" f5 Bintel Newtonian reflector or 6" f6 Bintel Newtonian reflector ( have Don replace the existing single speed focuser with a dual speed focuser which is a must for imaging, he replaced the focuser on my 6" f6 to dual speed for a small additional cost )

Mount - Skywatcher HEQ5 or Saxon HEQ5

Guide scope - 50mm or 60mm ( I use the Orion 60mm with helical focuser )

Guide camera ZWOASI120MM-S USB3
Main imaging camera - any second hand APS- C DSLR like a Canon 450D, 80D or 600D etc... You will need a Canon EOS T Ring adapter
Use a DSLR to get some experience for a year or two and then maybe progress to a dedicated CMOS cooled camera

Option 2
Same Telescopes , cameras etc...as above but with a bigger more superior mount to future proof your imaging for years and years to come
Mount- Skywatcher EQ6-R pro

Option 3 ( future proof option )

8' f5 Bintel Newtonian reflector

Mount - Skywatcher EQ6-R pro

Guide scope - Orion 60mm with helical focuser
Guide camera ZWOASI120MM-S USB3

Same imaging camera

Warning: Astrophotography is a money pit , so be prepared. The above set ups are under $5K which is roughly entry level costs ( even with just a good DSLR, tracker and Lenses etc..for wide field work will cost you up to $5k and more )

Hope the above is helpful

Maybe other folk have different suggestions and advice

Cheers
Martin
Martin, thanks so much, that is really helpful.

The EQ6-R pro mount is quite a bit more expensive than the NEQ6 pro mount that was recommended to me. Would the NEQ6 pro do the job? What are the pros of the EQ6-R?

I made a new post about someone selling an old CGEM mount. Since it is so much more cheaper than a new mount, I am considering it. Anything I should know or look out for before buying a second-hand mount? (Feel free to respond in the thread "Mount advice").

Thanks again