View Single Post
Old 31-03-2010, 07:09 PM
skies2clear

Thanks to everyone for your comments so far. To expand further, I was thinking of getting a decent camera for all round use, rather than dedicated to just astrophotography (well, my original intention anyway!). I also didn't want to spend $5k at this stage. A photographer friend, who admits he knows little about astrophotography, has been waxing lyrical about the Canon 5D Mk II with L series lenses. Having read some blurb on it, it does look impressive and features Full Frame- full sized chip (24-36mm). But I think the price is out of my league to be honest. However I noticed the 5D mk 1 sells used for $1500-$1600, which is more like it. It seems to me the latest 50D is about that price new, but according to some, it isn't a bull's raw within the 5D for performance (neither is the price). This might be harsh though, and I agree, I don't need much in the way of bells and whistles, in fact, a lot of things sold these days have a lot of "useless features" that don't impress me at all. The 5D II supposedly had good performance up to 1600ASA and beyond, so should work well for astronomy. I guess the Nikon D700 would be similar?

Next down might be the Canon 7D, though this is not full frame and has an APS-C chip.

From my meanderings, I have found 3 categories:
1/ Full frame - full sized chip (24-36mm)
2/ APS-C (premium)
3/ APS-C (budget)
Well, at least they are my categories, and please feel free to agree or disagree, as I admit not having practical experience, which counts for a LOT.

Moving down from Canon 7D (a premium APS-C model), looks like there is the 40D and 50D (slightly below the premium model). Then we have the APS-C budget models, 450D, 550D, etc.

I'm thinking out aloud here! Do you think this sounds reasonable or I am totally wrong on this?

I figured the best Canon lens series are the L- series, then the EF series, and after this we have the cheap crappy kit lenses supplies, which aren't that good. I have to consider what lenses to get with the camera if it is to be used for all round use.

So keeping it simpler with consideration of Canon only, I think at best, I might be looking at a used 5D mk 1, a 40 or 50D or even 350, 450, 500 or 550D?

From what you gents say here, if the camera is modified, this can make it difficult for terrestrial work? What exactly do they do to modify them to improve sensitivity at certain wavelengths?

Sorry about all the questions. Ok, I know no one will give you the definitive answer on what to buy, because there are too many considerations (cost, type of use, etc), but reading your impressions really does help a lot to narrow the choice down somewhat. Thanks again for your comments,

clear skies,
Nick