View Single Post
Old 30-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Nick,

Some might flame me, but, stick with Canon. All the features you need are there, as well as software support (you can use the bundled EOS Utility to do timed exposures as well as use third party products such as Nebulosity as a complete image capture and processing solution). Not to mention image quality.

If you have $5K to spend, you might actually want to look into a cooled monochrome CCD camera such as the SBIG ST-8300, or the QHY series of cameras. They'll give you far superior performance than a DSLR.

If you do want to stick with a DSLR, you could get a 5D Mark II body for under $3K now. Brilliant image quality, excellent high ISO performance, and, you could get it modified to pick up the hydrogen alpha wavelength. This process makes terrestrial imaging a bit of a hassle as you have to set the white balance manually.

I'll be selling my modified 40D in the next week or so you might want to keep an eye out on that. There is one person who has spoken for it already, but, need to confirm where that's going.

H