Thread: New observatory
View Single Post
Old 13-02-2022, 08:39 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
To be honest Richard I look around me and wonder how I get so much done particularly as I recall the effort associated with each task..special thanks goes to my friend and assistant for just so much that when I was real crook was beyond me...particularly finishing the little electric shed and setting up the whole electric system professionally ( he is an electrical engineer) and he moved my van with his tractor to the new shaded spot near the dam..that would have been hard for me with just my Xtrail...the list he took care of is huge...but my secret is keeping a book that lists the job, the time it will take, if it can be done at night or when its raining, the tools required and materials and cost. With this book I can sit down and say I have 45 minutes to spare..look for a 45 minute job, assemble the tools check I have the materials etc or add stuff to my shopping list...planning is the most important part of the job and by allocating a specific duration that it will take you make it happen in that time..so often jobs that should take a couple of hours blow out to take the whole day if you dont watch out...also if you reach a point where things get stopped because you find you dont have something have another job that you can move to right away rather than sit out the rest of the day doing nothing.
I have been running into time consuming holdups ( I bogged the white car up to the doors ..insane was like quick sand...and that took three days digging jacking winching and building a road out of the mess) and I lost 2 weeks because my blood pressure went thru the roof and I needed to rest...but in those times you can plan and assemble stuff for when you get moving again.
When you are old or in poor health your biggest problem is making excuses as to why you cant do it...you can ..it make take longer and you now need a crane and a trailer when once you just picked the thing up ... I love the challenge of just getting a fire pump or generator out of the car..I need a ramp, a pulley and a star picket in the ground to attach the hauling rope...to move sheets of form ply to my work bench I attach g clamps, attach rope then drag them there with the ride on mower..once you would just pick it up...accepting that things will be harder but not impossible it the key...
Anyways although there is still heaps to do I am back on track and indeed further ahead from where the cancer took all that time away...again I thank my friend for helping clean up the rat crap etc from the months of no one being there to take care of things..it was just so heart breaking to see everything ruined...but a couple of days of hard work from my friend (I was still very crook and was no help) and I could see I could start again.

I am having a rest this morning but going down to start setting up the RASA later...I might take the red car for a spin to the river and back...just to relax...but it is so nice to be able to talk to folk again..here..
Anyways while I have been resting I watched youtube vids on installing the electric focuser ... But I need to get going as time is finite and precious.
Alex
Good idea with the job book Alex. Great way to organise and prioritize your time. I would do it too but fear it would fill too quickly (if the wife gets hold of it) and it would become encyclopedic in size
I like your attitude that things that are awkward or hard for you become instead a challenge. You are following your signature statement to the letter.
Best to you, Richard

Last edited by croweater; 13-02-2022 at 08:41 PM. Reason: spelling