View Single Post
Old 09-11-2021, 05:53 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Anthony,
Excellent image of the Sculptor with some great detail in the spirals and core
The only observation is the colour ( tan / brown cast ) which is usually caused by filters , Ha , CLS , Narrowband etc...
Most galaxies are better imaged with a DSLR or OSC during the new moon period without filters or at least just with a UV/ IR cut filter. If your imaging in light polluted suburban skies ( Bortle 6 to 8 ) the filter will assist with reducing the effect of skyglow and capturing good detail at the expense of creating a colour cast and not the “true RGB” colour of the galaxy
Try imaging without the filters , that way you can capture the best colour balance the object emits ( most galaxies only emit low levels of Ha anyway )
Try imaging this object again without a filter
Also most DSLR’s ( not just Canon’s ) run at high temperatures when doing long exposure AP ( anywhere from 18C to 39C depending on time of year and location ) I used a 600D for 3 years under Bortle 8 skies. In summer my 600D would be running at 35C whether I was taking a 90 sec sub or 300 sec sub. I’ve never imaged galaxies with filters, initially with my Canon 600D for 3 years and in the last 2 years with my ZWOASI2600MC both under Bortle 8 Sydney and Bortle 3 South Coast in my Obs. Processed images always have great RGB colour contrasts on no cast at all
The Canon 60D has an ISO sweet spot of ISO 800 ( same as my old 600D ) where you maximise your dynamic range
With galaxies try the “lucky imaging technique” ISO 800 , 60 or 90 sec exposures and at least minimum 4 hours to 6 hours on the object
I’m sure you notice an improvement during processing your colours
My 2 cents .....
Well done !
Good luck !
Martin