Thread: Solar Hot Water
View Single Post
Old 19-07-2021, 03:52 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Solar Hot Water

Has anyone experience with making their hot water via a direct connection from solar panels (the ones that make electricity not units that circulate water) to the electric hot water service. I have obtained info from Rainbow Power company which frankly I dont fully understand in so far as the unit appears to be a switching unit to go from solar to main grid power..I am interested to know if one needs such a unit given there will be no switching to main grid power...moreover any comments on heating via a solar panel and not the water circulation unit would be much appreciated.

Details from Rainbow Power Company site...there is a heater element as well.

.Description
Sun Flux - Hot Water from PV Panels

The Sun Flux can be retro- fitted to an existing electric hot water tank giving the user the ability to switch from PV solar to AC grid if there have been long periods of insufficient sun.

The Sun Flux is an IP65 rated device that can be installed to the lower element of a twin element electric hot water tank with AC grid directly to the upper element. This application will give the user automatic transfer to the grid if there has been long periods of insufficient sun. Or install without the grid connected at all for off grid applications. When installed on a single element tank the user has the ability to switch from solar to mains grid if required.

The Sun Flux requires 4 standard PV solar panels and works with 2.4, 3.0 and 3.6 kilowatt heating elements. No plumbing alterations are required.

Heater unit.... Description
Twin heating element from SunFlux.

500W & 3000W dual water heater, includes control thermostat. Highly recommended for older, single element hot water tanks.

Connect the 3kW heater to your SunFlux, and the 500W element to off-peak or controlled load.
End of description...

In any event it would seem a sensible addition to any city house given hot water makes up a decent part of energy expence...
Alex