View Single Post
Old 12-08-2021, 07:10 PM
JimsShed (Jim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb44 View Post
Thanks Jim for the youtube tip /how to for the method, maybe there is hope for my setup. Maybe a before and after pic?

GlennB
The before is whatever the cables look like out of the box. The after is as per my earlier picture.
I initially practiced on some spare cables then realised I could make all of my cables curly so with a piece of 8mm dowel, one of those cheap paint stripper heat guns, and a packet of zip ties I just kept on going.
In the end I curled those flat USB cables that come with ZWO devices, my dew heater cables, the power cables that came with my Pegasus powerbox, etc.
The great thing is I haven't had to shorten any of my cables at all. The very important trick is to do the final reverse wind step in the guy's video. This makes the curl much more permanent and stable.

Jim

PS: For the initial winding, I use a zip tie to anchor one end of the cable to the dowel while I do the winding, then another tie to hold the last end on the dowel while I do the heating. When the cable has cooled I then snip off the ties and then do the reverse wind.

Last edited by JimsShed; 14-08-2021 at 01:35 PM.