View Single Post
Old 09-05-2022, 02:05 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Hi Chris,

My initial gear was identical to yours with an Esprit 100ED and an EQ6-R pro (different cameras though). I still regularly use both but like you, I wanted more aperture and more focal length and after a lot of thought, decided to add a Sidereal 10" carbon fibre f/5 Newtonian. I switched to off axis guiding to save a little bit of weight and chose carbon fibre to also save weight. I ran it on my EQ6-R for a long time with good results (although it was right on the limit). My guiding error was regularly 0.7" and below as long as it wasn't windy and I got what I think were good images. It's a great OTA that I have since put on top of an iOptron CEM70. An 8" f/5 Newtonian obviously doesn't have quite the same aperture or focal length but would still be a good addition to the Esprit. When using a coma corrector, I would make sure it isn't also a reducer if you don't want to lose focal length (I use a Baader MPC Mk III). I thought about an RC but the relatively slow focal ratio of f/8 put me off and the idea of collimating it was too scary!!

There was a similar discussion some time ago: https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...d.php?t=190830

Kevin

Last edited by kosborn; 09-05-2022 at 02:36 PM.