View Single Post
Old 27-01-2010, 08:57 PM
rat156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Stuart, sorry mate no oversharpening there. I have been deliberately leaving the stars out of the sharpening masks. As for bloated well you get that with Ha Lum added together on a 25K ADU sensor. I am less concerned about that than the noise I was getting.

I will remember to cast a keen over your attempt at this target when the time comes.

I have included an image of the old version and you can look at the linked version.

Hey, nothing personal Paul. I still don't like the stars, it's what mine look like when I've oversharpened, when I see that, I back off a bit on whatever I've been doing. Hence I though you may have been a bit heavy handed with the sharpening.

I also know what it's like to spend days processing an image, post it and then have someone say it's a bit insert comment here. Your first instinct is "No it bloody well isn't, I checked for that" (see my NGC 1964 image), then you check it later after a break and doing something else and you see their point.

Personally I'd run a minimum filter through the stars to lessen their imapct on the picture. It's a great picture of Thor's helmet, but an average picture of the starfield around it (IMHO), so reduce them with the minimum filter.

Please, please, cast a very critical eye over my posts, it's why I post them anyway. I don't post to get the "Nice picture" comments, pleasing as they are, they don't improve my imaging at all. I promise I won't snap at you (well, not much anyway).

Cheers
Stuart (now out in the observatory checking the NGC1964 reprocessing to see if I removed the brownness).
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ThorSmall.JPG)
173.1 KB28 views

Last edited by rat156; 27-01-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Added rather average attempt at Thor's Helmet.