View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 12:20 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Polar aligning and guiding on a rig that can correct for polar misalignment

Hi folks, quick question it has taken me years to think off asking!

With any three star model my old mount (Vixen Atlux and SkySensor2000-PC) can correct for polar misalignment of up to 20 degrees - it simply runs both motors at correction rates it solves mathematically for all over sky pointing - including atmospheric refraction - but what if it's a tiny bit wrong I just wondered...

I wonder now if I should turn off my mount's polar misalignment correction capabilities whenever I am:
  1. polar aligning my permanent rig by any drift or T-point method and
  2. when doing guided imaging - as seeing versus real drift vs mount corrections could all cause slight see saws in my tracking.
I only realised now there could be a small feedback loop causing some extra difficulty for the guiding - where the mount corrects in anticipation for expected polar misalignment and possibly at times being a bit ahead or behind optimal gear movement to keep the star centred it might be worsening the guiding slightly...

I was pondering why subsequent TSX 300 star models gave slightly different polar correction advice - normally adjustments less than 2 arc minutes on one or both axes. So I might do two subsequent runs - one straight after the other - only noting the correction advice - not implementing it - and see if between subsequent runs (with a new supermodel each time - complicating things possibly) whether the polar correction advice was consistent or not - it was slightly off - normally only in East / West corrections.

Given I have a permanently set up rig - I wonder if I might be best to only do a 1 or 2 star align in my hand controller - to avoid triggering the SS2K's polar misalignment function (or do a three star model - but just click accept on the third star - without any re-centring on the third star even if it is a few arc minutes of dead centre) - then use TSX closed loop slew or NINA or SGP to centre on any target and then use PHD2 to track.

Does that make sense to folk -any suggestions?

Last edited by g__day; 01-08-2021 at 12:42 PM.