View Single Post
Old 16-06-2014, 07:36 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Is GSO 9mm Plossl Really that Bad?

Hi to All,
I bought a few cheap second hand GSO Plossls from a member here a while back. And some time later saw a member here totally lambasting his GSO 9mm Plossl, and I thought - "Hey. I've got one of those, I wonder what it's like?"

So last week, I compared it to my 9mm TMB and 9mm Orthoscopic eyepieces by looking at the moon's terminator and Saturn, using my 5" Skywatcher MAK ( I forgot I also had a 9mm Nagler).

Anyhow, I quickly saw a problem with the 9mm GSO plossl - it needed cleaning. After cleaning, I tried it on two nights, and I can't honestly say I saw much by way of difference in detail between it and either the TMB and the Orthoscopic.

The main problem with the GSO that I did see was very shallow eye-relief. It is much easier to gunk up its front lens than with my Orthoscopic (no chance of doing it with my TMB), and I can see length of one's eyelashes becoming a factor.

I haven't done the comparison in a short focal length telescope yet (it's raining all the time), so my opinion may yet change, but so far, I don't see the GSO 9mm plossl as a dud eyepiece.

What do you think?
Regards,
Renato