View Single Post
Old 15-09-2021, 02:43 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
1/2 to 3/4 of the new price depending on condition would be a starting point.

Best
JA
He will struggle to get that. I tried to sell a GSO 10"/F5 that was fully tricked up including an Argo Navis about 10 years ago. It was fully baffled including the tube and focuser, all of the hardware on the scope had been replaced with stainless steel hardware, dual speed crayford focuser that had been slicked up and a fully rebuilt base that had been waterproofed and slicked up with ebony star and teflon on both axes. The scope was a known exceptionally good performer. I couldn't get any takers at $500; which is less than the cost of the Argo Navis. I still have the scope and I am about to donate it to one of the local schools, who will get an exceptionally good scope, for the cost of mirror recoats on the primary and secondary (about $370).

Maybe I was trying to sell it at the wrong time, but I did have it listed for several months and dropped the price several times to under $500. It wasn't worth me taking less than that and I figured at some point I would give it away, which I am about to do. I think part of the problem also was that the Meade Lightbridge came out which was able to be disassembled and was much better for transport and then the collapsible tube scopes come out diminishing the value of the difficult to transport solid tube scopes.

Cheers
John B