View Single Post
Old 17-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Intergage (Matt)

Selling up and buying up

Hey all, been awhile sense the last time I posted here but I'm finding myself with more and more spare time I'm currently doing nothing with, after a very busy period in my life (I moved out, got promoted and given 'minions' to deal with and other things).

I have a Canon XH A1s camcorder. It's an older model yes but it's still very viable (If someone wants to know why I got a tape camera you can ask me lol) and I'm selling it. I had fun with it, made heaps of video effects stuff, 4x4ing stuff but I'm over it (I was young and stupid when I got it..) but the more I look up the more I want to capture it. I have done Astrophotography before but with a ****ty little webcam camera I made myself.

I'm going to sell it at Cash Converters this weekend (Hopefully for about $1700 - $2000 with all my accessories but if anyone knows a better place to sell it) and just get a Canon EOS 600D (I have done plain photography work / courses before too) twin lens kit.
Later on I'll build up with scope mounts and stuff later I just want to take pictures of constellations and other things I can see with my naked eye in our amazing celestial sphere.

My questions are, does this sound like a good idea?
I work in IT (Sysadmin) so I can get SLR's through a supplier of ours, wholesale but I found JB HiFi at the moment are cheaper for the twin lens kid by about $50 plus I'll be able to bring them down more then that anyway.
Are there any other places I should be looking? I want to get a good Tripod as well.

Any help or information would be AWESOME.

Thanks heaps guys.