View Single Post
Old 26-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

I know what you mean Doug, I too have seen many excellent OSC pics that seem to buck the math, and indeed cut the mustard very well.

But, S/N is always the key, the essence to the difference. I have noticed OSC pics are invariably of brighter objects, and often, on zooming in, noise is apparent that is higher than in a comparable mono pic. This is nitpicking of course, if the pic looks great at full view, then zooming is just getting technical and difficult for the sake of it.

I suspect that those that take excellent more difficult pics (eg dimmer) dont admit to the extra time they spend processing, or they expose longer than with mono.

The point is, for a given result, for all but bright objects OSC must be "harder" and take longer exposures than a mono. If your keen and willing to make the effort for the same result, then fine, but the mantra "easier" is a myth.

Im not dumping on OSC, for bright objects in dark skies its cheaper, easier and faster, but the limitations otherwise make OSC a transitory purchase unless your not that serious, are short of cash,or are willing to spend much more time in capture/processing.