View Single Post
Old 28-07-2020, 06:13 PM
roberto84 (Robert)

Eyepieces / Diagonal for Meade LX90 12”

Hi all
I now have about 50 internet tabs open…so need some help.
I have a Meade LX90 12” SCT, that I bought maybe 8-9 years ago. Used it quite a bit when I got it with just the standard 1.25 diagonal and the basic Meade 4000 Super Plossl Eyepiece kit (6.4mm, 9.7mm, 12.4mm, 15mm, 26mm, 32mm and a 40mm, a 2X Barlow and a bunch of filters I have never really touched).

I have not used the scope in maybe 4-5 years due to family life, but am now starting to get back into it. I do not do any astrophotography, just basic observations.

It is easy to get overwhelmed with different eyepieces/diagonals. Looking for suggestions for decent eyepieces to get for the 12” LX90 and a decent 2" Diagonal?

Was looking at the Meade Series 5000 2” diagonal, which has an adapter for an SCT, that I don’t think a lot of the other 2” diagonals have. How important is a good diagonal for the whole setup? Is the Bintel 2” Star Diagonal any good? It is a good price and looks like it screws straight onto the back of a SCT with no need for an adapter.

Am resigned to the fact that more money usually means better optics…and don’t mind spending the money if it improves the view / makes a decent difference.

Looking for a decent 7-10mm EP for planets and a decent 20-25mm EP for most other viewing. Liking the look of the Explore Scientific 82degree range….

Thanks for any help.