View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 12:11 PM
Wavytone

I had an AllView - bought it thinking of going to see the 2017 solar eclipse, as it can do a 1-star alignment using the sun and will track that quite well if the base is accurately levelled. Perfect for scopes up to a refractor 102mm f/7, a 127mm mak or C5. I sold mine after buying a 180mm mak (which was way too big for it).

It is IMHO quite nice and under-estimated, the gears are fine BTW - I had it tracking planets with a 70mm quad APO (heavy beast weighing 3.5kg) at 200X with no issues at all so for guiding a DSLR and any lens within reason it is fine.

But... it has three issues:

1. The UGLY factor - it really IS plug ugly. Skywatcher really need to find an industrial designer.
2. The tripod supplied is very flimsy and inadequate. You can replace that but it ups the cost to the point you may as well consider an iOptron Cube.
3. It eats batteries. If instead you power it via the wall-wart or a battery below, watch out for the cable while it slews in azimuth - it has a tendency to rip it out of the plug.

But for a small grab & go scope it is a pretty good solution and, for airline travel, could fit on a solid camera tripod if you have one.

It also comes with several brackets for attaching cameras, upto DSLRs; Trying to by equivalents separately will cost another $100-200.

Last edited by Wavytone; 04-09-2019 at 12:27 PM.