View Single Post
Old 25-07-2021, 03:11 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azza449 View Post
Okay thankyou heaps everyone for your valuable information! So from what I can tell, the collimation eyepiece is basically essential and then the laser one is a very beneficial option to make the process easier? Is that correct?
Just because if I can save some money initially that will be great and then I can invest in the laser collimator later on
Aaron,
You could get by with just a collimating eye piece if your proficient in collimating but recommend you buy the laser as well as it’s a must for beginners to check Collimation
Your choice but my recommendation
Cheers
Martin

Just a side note , have budgeted for your telescope including eye pieces etc.. or any of the following accessories including Barlow’s , moon filters , planetary filters , emission filters and the list goes on for visual astronomy ??
These alone added together depending on what you quality and performance you expect out of your telescope will cost more than the cost or your 8” dobsonian
Just thought I’d give you a heads up on this hobby and costs for budget to mid range costs on accessories
Eye pieces $40 to $250 ea
Barlow’s $100 to $250 ea
Moon filters $25 to $60 ea
Planetary filters $25 to $60 ea

Hopefully your 8” Dobsonian came with some eye pieces and filters etc... when you purchase it ( ie: a package deal )
Cheers
Martin