Thread: Buck's Tune Up
View Single Post
Old 21-08-2016, 08:30 AM
loc46south (Geoffrey)
loc46south

Hi Shane - I wish you well - it will be a learning experience.

1 - PEC - the PEC in the LX200 is next to useless - I can't remember the correct configuration but the number of PEC cells available per worm rotation are not enough to effectively apply the needed correction.

2 - The mechanical quality of the worm was so poor that the PEC errors were so sharp and sudden that they couldn't be removed, even if the PEC did work correctly.

3 - You are going to find that using it on a wedge is exciting and frustrating experience. The amount of flexure and the build quality of the fork mount makes it almost impossible to guide effectively.

4 - Once on an equatorial wedge you will need to use extra external weights to balance up your OTA - if you don't you run a real risk of burning out the RA Motor. Been there and done that.

5 - You will find that the mount is very wind sensitive - a cow only needed to pass wind a couple of paddocks away and it was enough to start it rocking and rolling.

6 - I even bought an AO-7 and that couldn't tame it.

The list goes on and on - I'm not trying to put you off what you are trying to do - I am just giving you an indication of what to expect - maybe you will succeed where I and others I know failed.

Cheers
Geof
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (17.jpg)
94.4 KB23 views