Thread: Scope's-R-us
View Single Post
Old 20-08-2008, 05:25 PM
gregbradley

I agree. Just simply create a new category for the pay to use remote imaging entrants so its a level playing field yet it caters for this growing area.

Arguments that polar aligning, setting up gear, choosing the correct gear, working out the best setups, balance, autoguiding equipment, PEC training etc etc etc as being not important are ludicrous.

How many images are lost or poor due to some techical error that you correct for next time? Internet image discussion groups are full of " I didn't have blah blah but here it is, better next time".

That is where 90% of the hard work is.

You get good data processing is easy as. You get poor data, tracking errors, gradients, clouds come in - processing is almost impossible.

There are so many possible combinations of equipment these days that it really is an important part of the final result - the choosing of the best combo of equipment for your desired type of image. And then the often tedious and long winded task of optimising it and sorting out the bugs.

But a separate category then has oranges compared with oranges rather than Rolls Royce compared with VWs.

On the other hand Rob Gendler has done some special images using rent a scopes and I doubt if I bought the same data my image would be as good at this point. So his processing skills shine and this then is the type of difference in skill that can be judged from the rent a scope public.

Greg.