View Single Post
Old 25-12-2023, 09:57 AM
Aurorae (Sara)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroViking View Post
Hi Sara,

Have you considered the Star Adventurer GTi (the new-ish one with GoTo) as a mount? Add guiding to the mix and you'd have a capable system that's still quite portable. (Yeah, you need to add in a laptop or something like the ASIAir to drive it.)

Cheers,
V.
Thanks for that suggestion and I have, but I'm trying to see if I can pack carry my gear. I am heading to the Dolomites in July and will be hiking for a few days on my own hut to hut, and so I would need to carry my gear and clothes etc.

A person should only carry 20% of their body weight, and unfortunately I am small and weigh 56kg, so I can carry about 11kg. I do both nightscapes and timelapses at the same time, so if I carry a Z7ii and a Z6ii with NikonZ 20mm x2 + 50mm, plus 2 travel tripods, it comes to about 6kg. This could increase an extra 2kg if I take the star adventurer plus counterweights. Then clothes and all that, it is possible, but likely tough.

I could swap the star adventurer for an MSM rotator and maybe take a GTI that I could use driving to specific locations instead, as it can hold a great weight, but honestly, if I can get a good lens/telescope that could carry on a star adventurer, then why not? I only want to try taking some celestial objects in the northern hemisphere while I am there.