View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 08:12 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrofriend View Post
Hi Brent,
Sorry, I was so sure it was a RC telescope. Nice to see how you built it and it's smart that you can have it both on an EQ platform and Dobson. Do you use it for astrophotographing also or only visual?

In Sweden we have a famouse mirror grinder, Joel von Knorring. Have you heard about him? I couldn't find any article in English for you.

/Lars
I have used it a couple of times for imaging but it's a big beast up on the EQ6 and fills up most of the observatory. I may give it another go now I have just bought the ZWO ASI 1600mm-c but the off centre weight might be a problem. To be honest I don't do much visual through any scope now, mainly imaging.

I haven't heard of Joel Von Knorring. I have built an 8F8 astrograph similar to the 10' using a Gary Nankivell mirror. He designed and built the 1 meter scope used at the Mt John Observatory in the South Islands Gold Class Dark Sky area at Tekapo I picked it up from his estate to build a long focal length astrograph which would have minimal coma. I need to make that work again but being 1600mm long it fills up the Observatory as well. But it does take good images.