View Single Post
Old 24-09-2020, 04:10 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

No progress on fish farming although I have the excavator here now but the girls have a list of things they want done so maybe I just have to forget fish farming.

Anyways..an update on this observatory.

I have the old eq6 working and the heq5 working in there as well.
Been using the eq6 for wide fields only and the heq5 to carry the 115mm..but it should have a new eq6 in the new place.

All the little things are completed and really all that remains is an external coat of paint ..to this end I purchased a spray gun from Bunnings which hopefully will make the job very easy..the clean up however sounds terrible..maybe line up every painting job do it all and throw the unit away..only cost $40. I have plenty of paint stored away and when the excavator is done will do the painting so I can say it is truly finished.

I have ordered another eq6 to go in the "new" roll off and may even get a second one so that will be three all up..the idea is..115 mm on a new eq6, the 8 inch on a new eq6 and the 80 mm on the eq5 and the Nikon with a decent wide field lens on the old eq6.
I need at least one more camera really two so maybe a narrow band and a one shot colour..now all this sounds expensive but I rationalized it this way..a while back I was happy to buy a 16 inch at around ten grand, a suitable mount in a similar price range and a seven grand camera..for just one set up..now I can get all I spoke about above for say eleven grand so I am saving maybe 15 grand also I won't need a real fancy computer...so I can use my ok desk top and another desktop coming as a gift that will do the job...

So the two new eq6 in the roll off..one on a pier the other on a tripod so I can maybe do a trip West, the eq5 and 80mm and Nikon wide field on the old eq6 in this small observatory...

Observations...the thing I built needed to be just a little bigger as the 115 mm could hit a wall ..ok for the way I do things..hands on always checking..but the roll off I want a remote set up and plenty of room around things to adjust stuff...I can do it in the small one but it is cramped and I don't do cramped that well this days.

For anyone thinking about the approach I took here I would suggest..just as long (8 ft) but a little wider maybe 5ft but think how you rig will fit...and perhaps just one mount..which gives room for a little desk one end...everything was built around the size of a sheet of ply hence 4 ft by 8 ft..just adding a foot changes the convenience of this approach. Four ft high works but you need to think it thru..again night was determined by the width of a sheet of ply...a tally it was the size of "fibro" sheets as well..the ply was a lining but both fitted size considerations.
Alex.