View Single Post
Old 23-04-2020, 09:07 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Geez Alex, a log cabin roll off roof, that sounds pretty heavy (The roof). What about putting an old caravan on blocks, with a pier up through the floor, and a slide off roof - might work ok and be less work than a log cabin, but probably ugly as hell.
The roof will not be logs only the walls. No windows one door. Only 8x8 internal or maybe 8x16 with a bunk and kitchen counter for making tea and snacks.
I have only done about half a dozen plans ..but it will be a while before I can start it.

I have often thought about a pier in a van approach but on my reckoning there is a great deal of work and perhaps more than is apparent on first consideration.

Anyways I am having the tree fella cut the fallen trees into 10 foot lengths mainly to make them easy to move...I have not counted but there may be as many as one hundred trees down so I need to use them somehow.

The young guy doing the work is a keen chap...I said that I could make a wild west fort and he says yeh we could do that easy...In the future I will dry hire a machine and have tree fella remove the stumps and level the cleared land.

The first reason for the clearing was to be able to see the CSP and more sky overall but I really needed to distance the van from the trees as a precaution for Bush fire...leveling the land is for that reason as fuel control will be easier..fence it and get some goats..maybe a couple of donkeys.

What I need is a way to "thickness" the logs ..
I have worked out a simple open end joint which should enable construction with green logs...And when I get the 16 inch it will live on a tripod on a nice cement floor for a long time before I go for a pier...no doubt trying to fit so much in a small space has caused my various issues with the latest observatory but I think running a tripod for a while avoids what I have just put myself thru.

I near went mad with the eq5...I completed the pier extention working all yesterday on it...bolted the mount on top and the dam thing wobbled, so I would take it off add or subtract a couple of washers but still a wobble..the bolt seemed a little too small and there definitely was some play..but I thought once it is tightened there should be no wobble as all the bolt has to do is tighten to hold the thing down...but no matter what I did ..wobble..I was ready to fibre glass the lot...but I noticed a thread in the plate from the tripod ( which I fix to the top of this ply wood pier) and I thought this has got be the problem ..it is causing a slight separation and is not tightening...so out with the rat tail file purchased to elongate the holes and removed the thread so the bolt did not bite any thread...crossed my fingers and thank goodness no wobbles.But the time wasted was unbelievable... And I was so self satisfied coming from absolute despair to knowing my patience gave me yet another victory.

The sad thing is I like finding objects manually but the observatory is too small to do that comfortably so I will have to use goto...not that I mind but I do like to peek thru the finder scope...usually I have a 70mm but the objective fell out and one of those many todos...
Anyways I got a perfect PA with unguided runs of 5 minutes tolerable but I opted for 60 seconds subs ..managed RBGHa and Lum and a few darks...only have had four hours sleep and need to motivate and do some lights.
Alex