View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 10:37 AM
Dilsh
Eq6r pro

Guiding with OAG and filter offsets with a SCT

Hi guys,

I am starting to think about a scope upgrade.

I have spent 12months with a skywatcher ED80 and an EQ6r pro and a ZWO EAF.

Recently I upgraded my imaging train to a QHY294mmpro with a QHY filter wheel and a QHYOAG medium coupled to a QHY290m. This load is too much for the stock focuser of my ED80 and despite adjusting the tension bolts it still slips too much. This is ok if I sit outside and push to train up against gravity however I am shooting SHO and like to get some sleep .

The obvious solution is a moonlite focuser or equivalent but the ED80 was purchased as a beginner learner scope so I would rather spend the money on a new scope.

I enjoy DSO and galaxies and maybe some planetary in the future as well.

Alot of people have used the celestron 9.25edge HD and I really like the results on astrobin that folks are getting with this scope.

Just some questions about setup

1) I used NINA and I am keen to use filter offsets for my SHO filters. Will this effect my OAG guiding with this telescope? Does the focus between filters shift so much that the OAG will be out of focus and stop guiding?

2) Can I ask those who have a 9.25SCT, is focusing with the primary knob between slews and filters using an WO EAF sufficient if you have collimated the scope well? I like the idea of having the image train fixed and seperate to focusing given how much spillage I am getting with the ED80.

Thanks in advance and clear skies.