View Single Post
Old 29-01-2014, 09:41 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

AndrewJ

Thanks again for the response - and thanks for the link to Jan's Meade LX90 page.

With respect to the sequence of actions - please note that we have only twice managed to get past the "Motor fault" message, so I'm not sure what the "normal" characteristics at start up should be - it's possible that I got the sequence slightly wrong. My recollection is that on those two occasions, it went like this:

1. Turn power on - LED illuminates on the base
2. Hand unit lights up, and displays the firmware message. (I still haven't had a chance to check the firmware version)
3. Scope slews fairly quickly side to side and up and down (not necessarily in that order) - maybe 30 degrees arc or thereabouts - I assume this is the scope just checking the drive controls are working, scope is moving freely, etc
4. Hand unit asks for location and time zone information (I assume the GPS hadn't got a lock yet) - enter the relevant information
5. Hand unit displays the options for initial alignment - choose "Easy (2 star) Alignment".
6. Hand set displays a star name for alignment - accept this (we were doing an indoor day-time set up, so it doesn't really matter what star it chooses), and scope slews to what seems a plausible location
7. Repeat for a second star
8. Scope is now "aligned", so we thought we would try a "Go To" - pick Jupiter
8. "Motor fault"

As I said, that's all from memory, so it's possible that a couple of steps are out of sequence, but it went something like that on both occasions. Every other time we have powered up, we get the "Motor fault" message straight after the Firmware version message, and we don't get to see the Location and Time settings etc. There is no response from the slew motors when we use Enter to get past the "Motor fault" message and try manual powered control.

Anyway, we have contacted the shop that sold the scope, and we have to take it back to them for diagnosis - hopefully it is a simple enough thing to fix.