View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 05:22 PM
astro744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan101 View Post
Once agai, thanks for all the help.
You've given me good insightful article to sift through.
I guess my last question would be, can any tell me what sort of eyepiece suits different telescopes better? It's great to get recommendations but I've searched everywhere and can't find any info on what type (not brand) of eyepieces work best for certain setups.
ie: plossl work best for fast Newtonian as apposed to multi layer wide angle or the like.
Or is this too broad a question maybe.
I have always thought that Tele Vue eyepieces work well in any type of telescope and am yet to find a telescope design they do not perform in. I have used in refractors (f3.75, f5.4, f6, f7.5), reflectors (f4.5, f4.7, f5.5, f6.4, f7, f8), SCT, (f10) and Mak (f11) varying in apertures from 40mm to 406mm.

I can see you can buy a Morpheus for $390 and Pentax XW for $569. I'm sure from other user reports they are fine eyepieces. However you could get both used 13mm Nagler for $400 and Meade 4.7mm UWA for $180 (combined total just over the cost of the Pentax). You could always sell one or both of you dont like them.

The 13mm T6 Nagler is a small form factor 1.25" eyepiece that will fit any current telescope and in your telescope will give you 115x and 0.7 deg field which fits the full lunar disk in nicely with room to spare. M42 will also fit very nicely in this field. Barlow it for 230x on planets or planetary nebulae. (Get a Tele Vue 2x for a quality view or a 2.5x Powermate at a later stage for an effective 5.2mm eyepiece giving 288x). These sometimes come up used too.

The Meade 4.7mm is a bit on the short focal length but suitable on excellent nights. I have the ES 4.7mm/82, Nagler Type 1, 4.8mm and Nagler Type 6, 5mm. If the Meade 5000 series 4.7mm UWA is anything like the ES 4.7/82 then you will not be disappointed. I bought my ES used just to compare with the two Naglers. It's a close third in the 60-80mm refractors I've tried it in.

Is there a reason you want either 5mm Pentax XW or 6.5mm Morpheus? Why not a 7mm Pentax XW to give a more useful power more often.

I know too many options probably isn't helping.

Last edited by astro744; 02-12-2021 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Typo and grammar.