View Single Post
Old 25-11-2021, 04:15 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

No idea, but I do know that :
a. my night vision is particularly acute to the point I can see foxes, rabbits etc in pitch darkness that others cannot. My dark adaption also is quite short, even when ruined by someone with a red torch (see next )

b. any red light at night is FAR too bright for me. Even when I flew commercial aviation, I couldn't use a red torch as it blinded me, unless I put MANY MANY layers on the torch.

Consequence of (a) is i find using large aperture instruments visually nauseating as I can see WAY WAY too much - too many stars gives me trypophobia (a condition I don't suffer in regular life). I used to use a Mewlon 300 quite often and also Matt's Massive Mother of All Telescopes, and whilst the views were amazing, they were overwhelming. I have on occasion literally had to sit own for a period after using them. Might explain why I have NVER had aperture fever even for imaging. Content with my Wee Tak

Consequence of (b) is I don't even use a red torch at night or if necessary, a VERY filtered one - the complimentary red key ring lights Alex Massey gives with orders - a simple LED - are significantly too bright for me - I have darkened mine a LOT with many layers of clear red lacquer.