View Single Post
Old 27-06-2021, 09:03 AM
gregbradley

For nightscapes the Z6 from Nikon is the one that is most highly rated.
Any lens will adapt to Nikon. A big plus.

Sony A7111 also does well but there were some reports of the vignette correction leaving hexagonal zones in the image. Turn it off.

I use a Sony A7r111 which is still an amazing camera and Canon EOS R(a) (modded the same as the EOSRa). Its very good but lens selections are limited.

Canon 6Ds and 6D2's that are modded are common and a modded 6D can be had surely for $1500. I don't know that the newer cameras have advanced that much for astro. More in the conveniences like tilting back screen, magnified view for focusing and things like that. 6D2 with its tilting screen may be the go. A non tilting screen would make nightscapes and focusing very difficult.

An EVF in a mirrorless with magnified view and a tilting screen makes focusing a whole lot easier.

Don't just evaluate the camera also evaluate the lenses available.

Canon used to be king when it came to lenses now its Sony. The best lenses out there are usually Sony ones.

My Zeiss Loxia 21 F2.8 lens is about as perfect as a nightscape lens can be. But it only works on a Sony so it won't work on a Canon.

Currently Canon really relies on Sigma Art or Samyang for astro lenses.

Voigtlander APO lenses on a Nikon Z6 is pretty close to perfection at the moment. I am not sure if Voigtlander makes Canon mount versions of their lenses.

Greg.