View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 09:38 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
QE is measured at a spread of wavelengths, hence the plots. Peak QE will be quoted at the wavelength where this is highest. For Sony sensors to demonstrate QE in the 80s % isn't unreasonable given advances in sensor tech in the last 10 years. I'm not defending ZWO's data one way or another.

This (reputable?) doc makes for an interesting sensor QE comparison: https://www.flir.com/globalassets/ii...sor-Review.pdf (note: they specify 530nm)

QE is a measurement of the output of electrons from photon strikes...mono or OSC makes no difference. The pixel in a mono sensor can't tell the difference between a colour filter in a wheel and a colour (Bayer) filter printed on. If a given filter is less efficient than another, that's a disadvantage for sure. Given the competitive market of the sensor business, it wouldn't make any sense for Sony to scrimp on the quality of the Bayer filter.

Of course, the mono is more versatile...and we can get "full" resolution for a given colour filter rather than the reduced colour resolution of OSC, which I think is what you're getting at?

These sensors have made me consider going back to OSC, the 2600 sure does look good on paper.
I notice on ZWO's website for the colour version of their chips in a comparison table they list these 80% QEs for the mono and for the colour they show TBD (to be determined). They do state the high 80 and 84% QE on some individual colour camera specs. Maybe its right. I don't think so as these are the same full frame sensors used in the Sony A7riv and they are more like 65% QE.

Regardless of the actual QE for the colour sensor it does look like a big step forward for these CMOS cameras.

From my recent study into them it seems the 2 main issues with CMOS has been amp glow and uneven dark noise that does not calibrate out.

Whether you can get around that with careful calibration (my setups already require careful calibration anyway) is another story but its good to know the actual pros and cons of the gear away from the marketing materials which have every scope as a fluorite triplet and the best camera ever.

What I would want to see is that this 2600 gives decent colour.

Greg

Last edited by gregbradley; 12-04-2020 at 12:16 PM.