View Single Post
Old 20-08-2012, 12:25 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
It may be true that occasionally a fix will cause you problems. I'm sure that MS do a lot of QA on their patches but the Windows ecosystem is incredibly complex and it's impossible to test every combination of hardware, O/S and DLLs. However, not installing the patches makes you vulnerable to all sorts of known security exploits. IMHO that's a greater risk for any computer that is ever connected to the Internet.

Cheers,
Rick.
+1 from me on this.
If you DON'T have updates turned on then at least manually do the updates when it is convenient for you when online.
I do computer support for about 500+ users and many hibernate their PCS for months rather than do full shutdowns and reboots on the network (field engineers). Unless they do that they don't get patches, antivirus updates etc which can cause even bigger grief later.
I know it can all be a pain but believe me if you get one of the nasties go through your PC because you didn't update you will be even more unhappy. I have had to try and recover corrupted data and files from some of the most stupid inactions you could think of.
It is all about managing it to suit your own requirements.