View Single Post
Old 18-12-2011, 05:10 PM
NorthernLight (Max)
Settled

hi timo and welcome to iis!

as the others wrote, a 10" dob is a real eyeopener and a quite affordable one, too.
get yourself a laser collimator for around houndred bugs and you are well equiped.
as often stated, the best telescope is the one that gets used regularly. and i can tell that whenever there is a clear night and i have a couple of hours i am at my dob.
photography is a nice thing as allows one to see things impossible to see at the eyepiece. but its nothing for a tuesday night with a chance of clouds rolling in and does not ( at least for me) provide that recreational aspect stargazing has for many astrophiles.
a dob is set up in a few minutes and works pretty much immediately. it needs to cool down to ambient, granted. but that doesn't mean you can't use it straight away. a 2" 30mm wide angle and mild thermal inequilibrium is neglecable when scanning starfields.
it gets better with time.
once you have balanced the tube well and positioned some magnets (counterweights), adjusted friction and got a feeling for the movement, it will be the scope you are likely to use the most. even if you go into ap and own eq mounts and other telescopes.
don't even bother about goto's and gps if you ask me. it is this pointing and scanning that rewards when all of a sudden you something strange in the eyepiece and you zoom in and you think wow, what is this, and then you try to find out. that, to me, is when i feel like an astronomer.
push goto on my mount and telk my laptop to take 20 exposures is nice but i know in advance what i am likely to get.
ps: if you suffer from a lot of light pollution, get a uhc filter for the nebulae. a barlow lens doubles your eyepiece kit.