View Single Post
Old 10-06-2020, 10:58 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I will have to reshoot my demo to show how the ASI294 behaves in the two situations by way of gain (To either allow the highest full well at about 4e/ADC at "zero" gain versus unity gain of just over 1e/ADC) I actually made the experiment earlier this year as when I first bought the camera I used to use zero gain and then changed to unity a few months later, but I had changed so many things in a short time it was hard to compare the data. The difference between images using the same total exposure time at different gain settings was pretty stark. Basically I shot M42 for three hours at each setting using 5 minute subs for both, with flats and darks shot at the same settings as each set of lights and integrated in APP using the same settings. Unfortunately I built myself a new processing PC last week (Talk about timing) and decided when I was moving data over that I didn't need to keep that!

I am in the middle of a mosaic that I will be lucky to finish this season unless the weather gods are really nice to me, once I knock that over I will pick a suitable target and do it again for the point of the exercise and post the results here, happy to prove myself wrong if that is what happens.

Maybe it is just that the ASI294 behaves in a peculiar way that is leading me to my assertions? Given it is the only camera I have, I don't have any way to test that, but they are certainly known for being tricky to calibrate by way of flats.