View Single Post
Old 17-08-2021, 08:33 AM
Finbar (Barry)

Late to this, but I’m visual, so no images to share.

Having lost the conjunctions of Jupiter-Saturn and Venus-Mars to surgery and foul weather, was determined not to miss this. Chillagoe, FNQ, was the place to be, though cloudy at first, clearing only about 9pm, but winds wrecking seeing for a while. Then it settled, with excellent seeing until near the end. Arrived very late afternoon, with just enough time to check into accommodation and then scout a place outside town to set up the 130mm refractor with Denk binoviewer. Used only the Kson 16.8mm eyepieces.

Callisto was very clear against Jupiter, and its shadow crossing the GRS. Ganymede too, a little less distinct, but outside the occultation could see Europa only as white spot within the edges of Jupiter, but clearly beside Ganymede’s shadow as both neared exit. Also timed Io’s disappearing into shadow and re-emerging. All timings taken to compare against Stellarium when I get home - but having a few days off.

Really excellent experience, making up for bad year, but sorry I can’t share more than verbal description. I really appreciated you photography people sharing images about what I’d missed before.