View Single Post
Old 20-04-2021, 07:57 PM
Spleenus (Darren)

Am I getting enough data in my images?

Hi all! I've been diligently trying to read as much as I can, and watch some youtube videos to try and solve my processing of images 'problem' with photoshop.

In a nutshell, when I first start doing the stretching of the curves I just cannot get some of the data to budge far from the left hand side of the histogram. I end up distorting what data I do have as something chronic and lots of gradients appear in the image. From then on I'm just fighting a losing battle. This battle doesn't happen when I use some of the 'training images' which you can use whilst watching the video. Like Astrobackyards or astrofarsography's.

I realise I am starting off at a difficult level, as I'm trying to image some galaxies (M83) with a 150mm Maksutov and QHY163c. The subs were 6 minutes long. So I am suspecting that I'm simply not getting enough data through (long focal length?) to the camera. And thus not having enough data to stretch.

Am I on the right train of thought? Thanks for any help or tips which might be pointed in my general direction