View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Binca (Bianca)
Wheeeee!

Telescope

I need some opinions. Around April this year I bought myself my first telescope, a Celestron 130 EQ. It is quite nice, and I would use it a lot if I actually had a sky that wasn't loaded with clouds all the time.

But I do have a dodgy back. I can carry a reasonable amount of weight, especially with mum helping me carry stuff, but my back will hurt when I spend ages fiddling with my telescope trying to find stuff. I have never managed to use the finderscope properly.

So anyway, I am planning on buying a motorised telescope, because I think that might be easier on my back if I don't have to find everything myself. Well, that is the impression I get anyway. I am in no hurry to buy, I need to save first anyway, although mum has promised $2000 towards it when we sell our holiday house. My overall price range is probably around $4000 max. Although naturally I wont object to cheaper.

I generally view from my front or backyard, although there are nearby places I can go for slightly better viewing. If I do go somewhere else, my car is small (Hyundi Excel or however you spell it ) and my mum's isn't much bigger (Ford Fiesta I think.)

When it comes to carrying a telescope, I know you can generally take it apart a bit. I can carry a suprisingly large amount of weight considering my build, gender, weight, height and whatnot, but my mum is pretty weak. As in very. But she can help a bit.

So the whole point of my story is, any suggestions as to what to get?