View Single Post
Old 25-08-2019, 09:19 PM
meellor (Jack)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
No worries!

Look, in most cases it's not an issue, but it does rear its ugly head if there's a bright star in FOV, so it's good to be aware of it before you spend your hard earned $$$. For an example, see attached. This is a crop at 1:1 of 322x322 out of 4656x3520. The full image includes the Horsehead and Flame nebulae, as seen with my Esprit 100.

Regarding sensitivity...that's a harder term to define. The Panasonic sensor in the 1600/163 has lower quantum efficiency (QE) than the 183, but that alone cannot defeat the larger pixels of the 1600. The same is (of course) true of sensors with still larger pixels, but there's a trade-off between resolution and signal collection in an image - and there's no "perfect" balance point.
Is there a relatively straight forward way of processing the issue out? Or is it a bit tricky?
Still though, your supplied image I can live with. At the end of the day, I'm using a stock Sony A6300 which I just cannot wait to replace with any kind of dedicated astro camera. To be fair, it has given me images of bright regions such as Carina and Rho Ophiuchi that I've been stoked with. I'm just facing the fact it really doesn't live up to my expectations now that I have guiding and am attempting faint/semi-faint targets such as NGC6188 and M17.
Part of me is tempted to go the cheap cop out and get an OSC version of the 163, but I know I'll be left disappointed again and end up upgrading to mono not long after.
I'm also just sold on being able to narrowband image during full moon instead of sitting and staring at a tantalising clear, yet washed out sky.

As for your reply regarding sensitivity, I think the ease of use and versatility of the 1600/163 sensor sounds like less frustration/disappointment in the future, which, again, I'm more than happy losing a bit of resolution to just have a better time.
Now I just need to find a kit that my budget can match

Last edited by meellor; 25-08-2019 at 09:21 PM. Reason: typo