View Single Post
Old 16-06-2014, 12:27 PM
simmo

hi Roger,

Thanks for the link. I wouldn't mind writing something.

I came in on a flight last night and you can get an appreciation of how much light we really live with at night. Joondalup was the first part of the city I saw and it was bright to the point that the lake was easy to make out due the reflection coming off it. Weird.

Seems a bit of overkill really. Couple of points.

1. how much fossil fuels do we use to run this.
2. why bother with headlights on cars if you don't really need them. I thought this is why we had them, to drive at night.
3. how many people are on the roads at night anyway.
4. i could see why people are concerned that migratory birds could be affected by the dazzling lights.
5. crime I heard is no greater ( i think its actually less) where there is no lights.
6. People who get upset about having to slow down cause they can't see as well should learn to drive to conditions.
7. Why not have a turn off after 9 -10pm when most people are at home.

I grew up in the country where there were no street lights for 50 kms. we did alright. Had to live with the kangaroos constantly but I think we actually hit more during the daytime than at night.

I think it is important that people can be inspired by the stars (if they can see them) as it gives you an appreciation of how small we are and how greater place we live in.