View Single Post
Old 21-08-2022, 09:52 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by By.Jove View Post

The book is bunk, IMHO.
I picked up a copy at BigW for $24. I finding it to be an exasperating read due his scattergun approach by bringing in observations from northern hemisphere cultures as validation when it suited his argument of thin or non existent local star lore.

Without going quite as far as calling it bunk, I think this work could have been far more credible had he simply stuck to Aboriginal star lore, rather than clutching at straws to give it some sort of scientific validity.

The crab supernova (now the crab nebula) is bizarrely not mentioned in any oral tradition, but the ancient Chinese had clear records of this impressive event. To suggest oral tradition is reliable in light of this glaring omission simply highlights the fallacy of Hamachers position.

P.S. Changed my mind.
It's bunk.
The "songlines mirrored in the stars" and used for "traditional navigation" in WA start by heading north west on the ground, but.... north east by the stars!

But the stars are NOT mirrored in SE Queensland (instead we get extra waypoints and differing sector lengths) .
Can't have it both ways Think I wasted my $24.00

Last edited by Peter Ward; 21-08-2022 at 04:11 PM.