View Single Post
Old 01-02-2022, 10:33 AM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

A Wonderful Night

Hi all. I got out last night with my 10 inch dobsonian and had an interesting and varied observing session. I'd rate the seeing as 6 out of 10 while rating the transparency as 7 out of 10. Bortle 6 skies.

NGC 2266: Open cluster in Gemini. Large and fairly rich. A bit washed out in my bright skies.

Comet C/2019 ATLAS: Found this comet 0.5 degrees away from NGC 2266 in Gemini. Rather bright coma. I wasn't expecting to see this comet as it's listed as 12th magnitude. I found it because it is located close to two stars and had to use 343x to see it. Happy to nab this one!

NGC 2440: Bright planetary nebula in Puppis. Lovely with an elongated shape and neon like colour.

NGC 2070: The Tarantula Nebula in the Large Magellanic Cloud. Wow stunning nebula, central cluster R 136 was visible in the centre. Amazing structure and twisted filaments of nebulosity at higher powers.

NGC 2432: A nice open cluster in Puppis. Rather rich with a clumping of stars to one side of the cluster.

Gamma Volantis: Stunning double star in Volans! An unsung southern gem. Looked beautiful at 70x, with unusual colours! Looked like yellow and peach to me.

A nice night was had observing despite my bright skies. Just shows a lot can be seen even through light pollution. Clear skies to you all!
Joe