View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 11:35 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by breammaster View Post
Was cloudier than expected tonight and I had to move fast between cloud breaks, but I finally saw Orion. What a sight! Had the 25mm first and noticed the nebula clouds. They were faint. Couldn't help but pop on the 10mm. Magical. I must promise myself not to get aperture fever. Tommorow should be a clearer night. Will try for a harder dso. And I'll return to Orion to study the features better.

Just wondering, does a nebula filter help to see the clouds better?
Well done Wey!!
A nebula filter works by reducing light other than those wavelengths emitted by the nebula so improving contrast. They are worth trying, bearing in mind I have found they work best with larger apertures. In an 8" the effects is noticeable, in a 12" if is very good, in my 20" it is often mind-blowingly good. The reason is that the sky background is pretty much darkened down to the same level regardless of the size of the scope while the larger aperture collects much more light from the target, so the contrast is much larger with larger scopes. Nevertheless, they are worthwhile trying at any size.
Personally I like the UHC style filters rather than the light pollution style ones.
Good luck with future searches!!

Malcolm