View Single Post
Old 02-04-2021, 03:20 PM
DiscoDuck (Paul)
Raider Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_T View Post
i didn't know it was an either or question... eg imaging or beer... now i know what has been going wrong with my imaging ;-)

on your topic wont it depend on filters used...I use 3.5nm narrowband that allow be to chug out some nice deep sky stuff even around full moon - recent example linked below

https://astrob.in/5te3pk/0/
LOL! Silly me I didn't think of multitasking the beer drinking!

Re the filters, I think the calculation works regardless. Look at the sky brightness in subs with that filter and it's the relative increase that matters.

I think though that in the suburbs the relative increase in background brightness during the moon will be not that large (for me it was a 60% increase at max last night with a 5nm Ha filter). In a dark sky site, the relative brightness increase from the moon will be enormous I would imagine, and the rule of thumb would say not to bother. Just my 2c worth though.

As someone on CN said, I am ignoring the clever stacking (weighted averaging) that e.g. PixInsight does - need to think more about that now I've got info on the weighting method used - but it should still be at least a way to put some numbers to it for a ballpark guide rather than just relying on gut feel.

P.S. I guess I am not saying when the moon is up at a dark sky site, don't image. Just that it seems that mixing that data with data gathered when the moon wasn't up may not be wise or beneficial to the dark data. The moon-brightened data may still be quite good though, especially with a narrower bandpass filter - just the one without moon with the same filter will of course be better.